Monday, November 17, 2008

Arguments

The last few days I spent many hours debating a friend of mine on certain issues that I've been concerned with. It led to do some reading online and I ended up learning quite a bit. I must admit that it really took a lot of energy to look up so many conservative based arguments. The idea that we should keep on going like we have been simply doesn't sit right with me.

A large part of our discussion was about global warming science. So in my readings, I came across a movie called "The Global Warming Swindle" (which I've recently downloaded and am going to watch soon). The series of youtube videos shows a few clips from the documentary, interviews the film maker, then they proceed to debate both sides with a panel of scientists.

Global warming isn't really my main concern at this point in my life, but I'm interested in it and these videos are worth a look.




Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that the world is still arguing about things like peak oil and global warming.

    IT DOESN'T MATTER!

    For years now I've always said that global warming or climate change or the fear of peak oil don't mean squat.

    If we continue to plunder the earth in the same unquestionably unsustainable ways we have been we are doomed. The temperature won't matter when the air we breathe, the water we drink and the soil we need to grow our food has all been poisoned. Think deforestation, desertification, coral reefs dying, overfishing, air pollution.

    These things are happening without question. Maybe we won't see total degradation of the ecosystem in the next couple of years or maybe not even in the next generation but the human population will eventually cause an ecological collapse.Unfortunately the rate that we're doing this is unsustainable. We need to come up with alternatives and solutions to all of these environmental problems and we need to make this our collective top priority.

    Unless we focus on modifying human genetics so we can live on minerals and (dirty) water we must change our ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, people get side tracked by focusing on minute details that are brought out to undermine the bigger points.

    But then again, to a conservative thinker, we're just paranoid communists Ron.

    ReplyDelete