Thursday, January 8, 2009

M.E.C. Rules

When I worked at Canadian Tire, they would throw out thousands of dollars worth of perfectly good products and appliances into a secure dumpster so that no one else could benefit from them. I've heard of some companies even grinding up thousand dollar sets of golf clubs as well. Why do they do this? So that the new product (that which makes money) doesn't get cheapened by having it out in the world being used.

On my way to work this morning, I heard that MEC donated close to 5000 pairs of long johns to schools and native communities in the far north. Now, that is very nice of them, but this is why MEC "rules" in my opinion:

They gave those away because the long johns didn't live up to their recycling standards! Most companies throw these things out, but not MEC. Someone up north caught wind of this faulty shipment of clothing from China and simply asked if they could have some of them. MEC insisted that they take all of them and they shipped it free of charge.

This makes me happy. Someone very high up in the company made this decision. It wasn't a profit driven decision, but a moral one. Hopefully the bug catches, because this kind of thing is good from an environmental point of view but it's also great press for the company!

Way to go MEC!

P.s. If you can find the article about this, please let me know. I couldn't find it personally. I hate navigating the CBC website.

No comments:

Post a Comment